How My Puppy Survived Parvovirus

Thursday, January 18, 2018



Hello everyone! It's been a while, so I've been thinking about what good story to tell to start this year and what better way to start my blog is to share the miracle that happened with our family.

If you've been following me on social media, you must've known that 2017 was my worst year so far and as it was about to end, my puppy was diagnosed with parvovirus.

December 30, 2017, it's almost midnight when Sunny (my puppy) started discharging stools with blood. At first, it was a normal poop with a streak of blood. After that, she started pooping a lot, until she only discharged blood. As she was pooping, she would also vomit after that to the point where she was vomiting almost her saliva. I was really panicking and crying because I hate seeing her that way. But despite all that, she still managed to greet my partner and my uncle even though she was already weak at that time.

We posted on social media and on any dog lover's groups on Facebook. Luckily, a friend of my partner who also loves dogs created a group chat with me in it and a lot of veterinarians around Pampanga. They suggested contacting Doc Yam, a vet designated in Magalang Pampanga who owns a clinic near our area. I was relieved when she answered our call because we didn't have to wait until morning to take her to the vet.

We went there and Sunny was confined immediately. We weren't sure yet if she had parvo because they had to wait until morning for the blood tests and the parvo test kit. To be safe, they injected medications on her and put dextrose because she wouldn't eat and drink.




Morning came, the vet texted me that Sunny was negative for parvo but hours later, they wanted me to go to the clinic to explain that after a few hours, the lines on the kit went positive. So I was really crying when they told me that because I'm fully aware that parvo kills, and there's only a small chance of surviving this virus. I was really praying and hoping that she gets through this. Aside from parvo, they also saw a bacterial infection on her and her platelet count was very low. The vet was actually impressed on how she was still holding up and she seemed not even weak at all.




A couple of days later, she was already eating and drinking by herself so we were relieved that she might get well soon. She was confined from December 31 to January 03, 2018 so we can say that her recovery was very fast.



So what helped Sunny survive a very deadly virus?


1. Her vaccine was updated

Even though Sunny was vaccinated, there's still a chance of vaccination failure because I traveled her to Manila, she must've gotten the virus there and since she was traveled for hours, her immune system went down. As per the vet, her vaccine also helped her with her recovering process.

2. First aid was made before taking her to the vet

What I did when she was pooping and vomiting, I forced her to drink water with dextrose powder using a syringe so simple things like that helped her be hydrated.

3. We were always there for her, visiting her whenever we can

I was also sick during that time but even though I was struggling myself, I managed to visit her to the vet. According to the doctors, a factor that helps puppies survive is when they get visited all the time. It provides them the emotional support that they need.


4. The doctors were great

We were lucky enough to know this clinic, Pet Wise Animal Clinic. I saw how they loved their patients and how they treated Sunny like she was their family as well. They won't give you false hopes but they will make sure that your puppies are treated very well.


So those are the things that helped Sunny along the way. If you have any questions about this, please don't hesitate to leave a comment below. I'm sure if you're a dog lover like me, who loves their furfamily so much, you would do everything to keep your babies safe. I would also like to learn from you as well.

Thanks for dropping by, here's Sunny now, a parvovirus survivor and I am so proud of her.





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram